Tuesday, June 24, 2008

If grief for grief...

If grief for grief can touch thee,
If answering woe for woe,
If any truth can melt thee
Come to me now!

I cannot be more lonely,
More drear I cannot be!
My worn heart beats so wildly
'Twill break for thee--

And when the world despises--
When Heaven repels my prayer--
Will not mine angel comfort?
Mine idol hear?

Yes, by the tears I'm poured,
By all my hours of pain
O I shall surely win thee,
Beloved, again!

Emily Jane Brontë (1818-1848)

Monument art featuring grieving figures, particularly grieving women, has long been a popular theme and can be found in cemeteries throughout the western world. We wonder whether meditating on a grieving form brings comfort to those who are grieve?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes, at least to some people. The figure can serve as sort of a substitute when you're not personally able to be at the grave. Also, it reminds you, the mourner, that others are grieving too. I am actually considering a mourning figure for my daughter's grave, that is if I can afford to have one made.