Monday, June 9, 2008

Monumental Ambition

After I'm dead I'd rather have people ask why I have no monument than why I have one.
Cato the Elder



 I used to think about men who built themselves monuments like these, way in advance, not leaving the job for their loved ones to be saddled with. (Besides, it might not be tall enough if you leave it to others.) Was it some men's ambition to be highly regarded in death after a life of unscrupulous behavior? Some men no doubt build monuments out of pride for the family name, or because it's tradition. But I also think there's a little bit of Our monument is taller than theirs going on.

1 comment:

Squirrel said...

It's better to leave behind a tall pile of money for a charity, or to build an addition onto a hospital . Those are better monuments.